Research Associate - Landscape Ecology / Remote Sensing
Diane began work as the GIS/Remote Sensing Analyst for the Flathead Lake Biological Station in 1999. She works closely with Dr. Mark Lorang, Dr. Jack Stanford, Dr. F. Richard Hauer and Dr. John Kimball on projects throughout the Pacific Northwest. Her research and interests focus on the application of GIS/Remote sensing technology to aid in the understanding of the spatial and temporal dynamics of riverine environments.
- B.L.A. Landscape Architecture from Iowa State University, 1993
- M.S. Landscape Architecture from the University of Minnesota, 1996
Backchannel of the Kitlope River Floodplain
- Griffiths, J. R., D. E. Schindler, J. B. Armstrong, M. D. Scheuerell, D. C. Whited, R. A. Clark, R. Hilborn, C. A. Holt, S. T. Lindley, and J. A. Stanford. 2014. Performance of salmon fishery portfolios across western North America. Journal of Applied Ecology.
- Landguth, E. L., C. C. Muhlfeld, R. S. Waples, L. Jones, W. H. Lowe, D. Whited, J. Lucotch, H. Neville, and G. Luikart. 2014. Combining demographic and genetic factors to assess population vulnerability in stream species. Ecological Applications.
- Malison, R. L., M. S. Lorang, D. C. Whited, and J. A. Stanford. 2014. Beavers (Castor canadensis) influence habitat for juvenile salmon in a large Alaskan river floodplain. Freshwater Biology 59:1229-1246.
- McPhee, M., D. Whited, K. Kuzishchin, and J. Stanford. 2014. The effects of riverine physical complexity on anadromy and genetic diversity in steelhead or rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss around the Pacific Rim. Journal of Fish Biology.
- Whited, D., J. Kimball, M. Lorang, and J. Stanford. 2013. Estimation of juvenile salmon habitat in Pacific Rim rivers using multiscalar remote sensing and geospatial analysis. River Research and Applications 29:135-148.
- Lorang, M., F. Hauer, D. Whited, and P. Matson. 2013. Using airborne remote-sensing imagery to assess flow releases from a dam in order to maximize renaturalization of a regulated gravel-bed river. Reviews in Engineering Geology 21:117-132.
- Mouw, J., J. Chaffin, D. Whited, F. Hauer, P. Matson, and J. Stanford. 2013. Recruitment and successional dynamics diversify the shifting habitat mosaic of an Alaskan floodplain. River Research and Applications 29:671-685.
Cartoons By Diane